Inside the Den | Kings Theatre
Upon its inception in 1929, the Loew’s Kings Theatre was one of the most exquisite theatres in the nation. As one of the five original “Loew’s Wonder Theatres,” the Kings was originally ordained a movie and live performance theatre of epic proportion. The classic 20th-century movie palace was inspired by the French Renaissance Revival style of the Palace of Versailles and the Paris Opera House. It opened its doors to the public September 7th, 1929 with the screening of Evangeline. However, with the depression and the decline of vaudeville in the early 1930s, the theatre converted to showing only feature films. From the 1950s through the mid-1970s, the Loew’s Kings Theatre faced a steady decline. It closed its doors on August 30th, 1977 and sat vacant for more than 37 years. Today, the $95 million project features an authentic restoration of the original 1929 design. The restoration of this former movie palace marks the rebirth of an historic venue, and a transformation into a state- of-the- art live performances theatre that will revitalize the Brooklyn arts scene, and provide and economic stimulus to the Flatbush Avenue business district, and the region beyond.