The Swell Season
Built in 1906 as a shelter for young wayward or orphaned girls, the Good Shepherd Center Chapel in Seattle provided a new sort of haven for two hundred Artists Den guests on a crisp autumn night. Now a Historic Seattle landmark and performance space, the intimate chapel is framed by high wooden arches, which were lit by candlelight while the latest incarnation of the Swell Season – led by Glen Hansard and backed by Marketa Irglova on piano and two of Hansard’s band mates from the Frames on bass and violin – gave a special performance of their melodic, original songs, several of which were featured in the Academy Award-winning film Once.
The Swell Season is a musical project fronted by Irish singer-songwriter Glen Hansard (of popular rock band the Frames) and featuring Czech singer and pianist Marketa Irglova. The duo is best known for their breakthrough lead roles in the hit indie musical Once, which won them the Oscar for Best Original Song in 2008. Full of affecting instrumental melodies and haunting harmonies, twelve of the thirteen songs in the film were written and performed by Hansard and Irglova and are available on the film’s Canvasback/Sony soundtrack album, which followed the release of the group’s self-titled debut LP, The Swell Season.
To learn more about the Swell Season, visit www.theswellseason.com.
The Home of the Good Shepherd was established in Wallingford, Washington in 1906. It stood at the center of an 11-acre property and operated first as an orphanage and sanctuary for troubled young women, then exclusively served the latter from 1926 until its closing in 1973, when the City of Seattle acquired the property. With the support of the Wallingford community, it was turned it over to Historic Seattle (a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to preserving Seattle and King County’s architectural legacy) in 1975. Today it serves as a community center, school, senior center, artist studio, and nonprofit hub. In 2007, a small performance space was created in the historic double-height chapel on its fourth floor.